Cooking has been a pastime of mine for quite awhile now. When I was younger it used to be more about sweets - cookies, bars, cakes, etc. I like the whole process, from the measuring and getting a little creative, to the tasting. Yum!
When I became a mother, I realized that this pastime of mine is also very important. What I cook and bake for my family makes a difference in how they feel, learn, and act. Granted, they probably got the fast-metabolism genes of my other half and don't have to have family obesity hanging over their heads, but still. Lately we've all been hearing about the important of whole grains, the "right" fats, organic foods, and no preservatives. I take it upon myself to scour cookbooks and try to please the pallets of the household, even resorting to sneaking pureed veggies into familiar food. I realize that like most matronly tasks, this crusade of mine is mostly thankless. Perhaps someday my kids will appreciate the lengths I have gone to ensure good nutrition, but now it can be more of a grumbling match. This is not the biggest gripe I have.
Enter DH. Usually not a picky eater, he has one quality that I find not-so-endearing over the almost 11 years that we have been married. Compliments are few and far between. In the realm of cooking, this means I have little-to-no feedback on my "creations." Frustrating? Yes!!! I am not a mind reader, so how am I supposed to know if it's a thumbs-up or thumbs down? Occasionally if it's REALLY good, I will get instant feedback. Otherwise, nada. If cooking is my art, how am I supposed to learn and grow without feedback? It irks me to no end!!! Would an occasional pat on the back kill him?
Lately I have a new challenge in the kitchen. We bought a share in a local CSA (community supported agriculture) this year. Basically we get a box of fruits and veggies each week from now until October. It's been a great experience and we plan to do it again. My challenge is in the veggies that we get. We're all fine with green beans, onions, potatoes, carrots, and lettuce, but what to do with beets, turnips, summer squash, and the never-ending supply of cucumbers? Back to the cookbooks and turned up noses. Oh well. I guess I'll finish the turnip casserole by myself (not bad, by the way). Funny thing, no one seemed to complain about the beet brownies, except for maybe the color.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Make turnip "fries"!
ReplyDeletehttp://pbfingers.com/2010/04/01/tackling-turnips/
Cool idea!
ReplyDelete